2010 Election: Secretary Applications

Discuss the club and anything relating to it here. Questions about membership, the constitution, the executive, etc.

2010 Election: Secretary Applications

Postby Myles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am

This is the thread for all nominations for the executive position of Club Secretary.

The club secretary is in charge of keeping everything in order. They need to know who is doing what, when and why. Basically they need to know everything which is going on and make sure that everyone is doing their jobs. They organise meetings where necessary and act to support the president. In a lot of ways the secretary needs to work very closely with the president and could be considered a type of vice-president.

The Constitution wrote:7.10 Each member of the Executive has certain powers, responsibilities and jurisdictions. These will be as follows:
(c) The Secretary has the following responsibilities:
(I) To set times for meetings;
(II) To chair all meetings and ensure they run smoothly; and
(III) To complete minutes of each meeting and to make these available to members and other interested parties.
Furthermore the Secretary has the following powers:
(I) The Secretary has the power to call meetings of the Executive or General Meetings provided they give notice at least one week in advance to all parties involved.
(II) The Secretary has the power to control the discussion of Executive or General Meetings in such a way as to optimise the use of time and maximise the benefit of the meeting.
(III) The Secretary can vote as a member of the Executive.

Any full club member can apply to the executive role of the secretary and may also apply for other executive positions at the same time (but may only hold one position).

This position runs from 1 week after elected until 1 week after the next election (in the next year) - thus you must be prepared to hold the position until halfway through first semester next year, you must be an ANU student for the duration of you holding the position.

Each candidate should post once using the following template:
Code: Select all
[u]Name:[/u] _____________

[u]Reason For Application:[/u]

[u]Relevant Experience:[/u]

[u]Plans and Ideologies:[/u]

[u]Extra Information:[/u]

[u]Photo:[/u]

Executive positions will be elected at the next AGM - which is currently looking like it will be sometime around the end of week 7.
2009: Club Founder || Club President || Moderator Winter Game (Game 1)
2010: Executive for Documentation || Website and Game Engine Developer
Myles
Captain

Full Name: Myles O'Neill
Membership Type: Full Member
Student Number: 4679193
Overall Kills: 0
Overall Survival Time: 114
Survival Time: 0
Kills: 0
Medals: 3
Executive Member (2) Moderator (1)

Re: 2010 Election: Secretary Applications

Postby Rachel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am

Name: Rachel Keith

Reason For Application: I really enjoyed being involved in the club as the executive for documentation, and would like to continue my involvement in a different position in the club. I believe I would do well in the secretary position as I can type reasonably fast, am good at doing reports and have no issues taking minutes either in shorthand on paper or typed on a computer.

Relevant Experience: Executive for Documentation, First year rep debating committee, organised my year 12 formal.

Plans and Ideologies: I believe HvZ at ANU is a fantastic organisation and worthy of my time and support. I want it to continue into the future and I want to help with that. I would like to see it continue at the ANU and also spread throughout Australia.

Extra Information: I am studying political science/software development majors in an arts/IT degree and enjoy writing, drawing, sewing and all sorts of hobbies. I like playing with nerf guns. :D I'm a friendly outgoing person - many of you have probably met me already. I always have red bull and chocolate at home and like entertaining and organising things. I won Zombie style in the First game of HvZ

Photo:
Last edited by Rachel on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's kinda fun to do the impossible" --walt disney --

Zombie Style
Documentation Exec
Secretary
Goddess of Panjenkas
Rachel
Sergeant

Full Name: Rachel Yvonnne Keith
Student Number: 4315255
Overall Survival Time: 0
Game Status: Moderator
Medals: 5
Executive Member (2) Moderator (1) Zombie Style Award (1) Runner Up Squad (1)

Postby chrismelba » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Name: Chris Carter

Reason For Application:
I am truly passionate about this club. As many of you will know, I was the squad leader for the "best squad" this game, Paranoia in Pajenkas. I do my very best to ensure that the game was as fun as possible for our members, and
for the rest of the players in general. I would like to give as much as I can to this club in the limited time I have remaining at uni.

Relevant Experience:
Secretarial Experience:
In both my time working at Ford Stamping operations, and as a uni student I have been called to both chair and take minutes for many meetings. I was a regular chair of the meetings for "Disloyal" a YAA company, and chaired several meetings for projects I was running at Ford.

Club Experience:
For the summer 2010 game I was part of the marketing team. I was a very active member of the team, helping to design, order and proof the flyer. I also designed the facebook campaign which lead to a large number of website hits. I helped out all through O-Week on Monday and Wednesday distributing flyers and talking to people as well as helping to run the nerf wars we played on Thursday. I know most of the current executive quite well as well as the current games mods.

Plans and Ideologies:
I would like to look at our marketing strategies, as I believe that nearly all the university now knows about us, we must now convince them that our game is fun enough for them to play. This will require a shift in tactics from our current approach.

I would also like to look at running either weekly or monthly nerf games. I realise our sister club (WGS) runs some on Sundays, but I believe these are not well attended by our members. I would like to find some ways of making these events seem more like a club event and worth attending by a larger number of our members.

I would like to shift the focus of the end of game party away from being a movie night and more to being a traditional party. I would have to consult with far more of the club before making this decision, but it is my impression that at the end of game party I do not get the chance to chat with other members and relive the game as I would like. I believe a more informal setting than a lecture hall, and the possibility of adding alcohol would allow for an event where the players are more able to talk to each other, share stories and have a good time.

Finally, I believe that much of the expenditure of the club for the most recent game was too directed at hardcore players (the GPS unit, the Radios etc) I would like to reign this in and redirect those funds to something that far more people can enjoy.

Extra Information:
This semester and next I am only enrolled in 3 classes. Next semester I am able to pick two electives to do which don't count towards my honors grade. I work a maximum of 5 hours per week, and have no other major projects other than my class work at the moment (no honors thesis for example). This will allow me a considerable amount of time to dedicate to the club and it's smooth operation.

Myles information states that an executive must be an ANU student until after the AGM next year. Having read the constitution with a keen eye, it appears that this is not in fact the case. I will be able to serve out my term as secretary even as a non-player. However, there is a risk that I will have to resign early (as I graduate) as I will be applying for several out of state and out of country jobs that may require me to move. This is a large hole in my resume for this job as I may only be able to take the position for a short time.

Photo:
Andrew Burgess wrote:Chris is being weird and has a stranglehold on this game.

No One Dies
chrismelba
Major

Full Name: Chris Carter
Student Number: 4213284
Overall Kills: 4
Overall Survival Time: 134
Medals: 7
Executive Member (1) Best Human - Runner Up (1) Winning Squad (2) Runner Up Squad (1) Survivor (1)
Original Zombie (1)

Postby grodgo1 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Name: Glenn Rodgers

Reason For Application:
I want to contribute further to the club that i love so much and wish to see it become a deeply ingrained part of the ANU community. I believe i can contribute an unbiased opinion on many matters within the club as i have not aligned myself to any squad and have experience in both the moderator and player aspects of the game.

Relevant Experience:
Game experience:
I have experienced both the player and moderator sides (including the NPC role of Sullivan in the last game) of the game which i believe will give me a broad outlook on many of the issues which may arise within and externally to the club.

Other club experience:
I have participated in many of the advertising events such as market day, I have also contributed photos to the documentation team and been a general dogs body for any other parts of the club and affiliated events.

Misc. Experience:
During high school I was a member of the schools Venturer unit, during my time in the unit I was successful in obtaining my queens scout award (for more info on this award please see the following link) http://www.scouts.com.au/main.asp?iStoryID=16453208
The queens scout award involved me;
[*]Attending several courses varying in purpose form development of leadership skills to development of the skills needed for the management of the unit. Many of which I believe can be applied to HvZ@ANU
[*]Contribution to the running of the unit through the roll of unit secretary and PR/documentation, both of which I believe may contribute to my understanding of what is needed within the different areas of our club.
[*] Organisation of various unit activities. One of the activities I organised was a 2 night hike, this involved preparation of paperwork, organisation of accommodation and transport, planning of the hike route and several other activities while in the region near the hike. I believe this experience in the various components of organising events will be useful in dealing with all aspects of game orgaisation
[*]As well as many other things all of which may contribute to my ability to fill this role

Plans and Ideologies:
See HvZ become a deeply ingrained part of the ANU community. Get greater involvement from the universities various colleges and the game allowed to be played within these college areas, contributing to a more total immersion in the spirit and paranoia of the game.

Extra Information:
I am in my second year (and therefore will be able to fill this role for the full term), studying a bachelor of science with my major landing somewhere in the region of biology, I am also currently taking Spanish for the shear joy of trying new things, the complete differentness (yes I realise this isn't a real word but it says what it needs to) from biology and my desire to travel in the future. I am a very fun loving person although I am able to take a tough stand where necessary and get things done. I am not particularly nerdy or athletic, though I try to keep a balance between them in my life and enjoy both of these aspects within the game of HvZ. I love meeting new people and am always willing to try my hand at new things.

Photo:
ImageImage
grodgo1
Private

Full Name: Glenn Rodgers
Student Number: 4666347
Overall Kills: 5
Overall Survival Time: 34
Medals: 2
Moderator (1) Hunter (1)

Postby trumpetmagic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Name: Eddy Davis

Reason For Application:
I really like the idea of HvZ and want to involved with it as much as possible. To increase my involvement I have decided to take a step further and apply for an executive position, so that I can have a greater contribution to the club. In this position I will strive to run the club efficiently and uphold the spirit of HvZ which is awesome.

Relevant Experience:
I have a fair bit of experience in organising meetings and allocation of tasks which is what I present should be the primary role of the secretary outside of running general meetings. I am often appointed team leader during group projects. I was moderator last game, which means I have an idea of the time commitments involved in being actively involved in the running of the club and games and level of awesomeness which HvZ must live up to.

Plans and Ideologies:
To promote the growth of the inclusive community that is HvZ. I would like to initiate the creation of a more streamlined application and registration system for the club so that we attract more members. Never underestimate my commitment to something as awesome as HvZ, I will over apply my self to ensure it remains and continues to grow in awesomeness.

My approach to the next game is that we should have an uber mission. That is a mission that every single player that is playing will have an opportunity to complete and receive a suitable reward for their efforts. I have already invested considerable thought to how this would work and have a workable and very high tech solution.

Extra Information:
I'm a second year engineering student majoring in mechatronics and research and development. I am currently undertaking an awesome project where I get to play with robots [gets sidetracked wondering how it could be linked to HvZ. Did someone say jumping robots?]. Anyway I pretty much spend most of my time tinkering with electronics and making stuff.

Most importantly if you vote for me awesome things will happen :D

Photo:
trumpetmagic
Veteran

Full Name: Eddy Davis
Student Number: 4669521
Overall Survival Time: 0
Game Status: Moderator