Ask the Applicants

Discuss the club and anything relating to it here. Questions about membership, the constitution, the executive, etc.

Ask the Applicants

Postby Myles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 am

This is a topic for all club members to question applicants on their policies on various issues.
2009: Club Founder || Club President || Moderator Winter Game (Game 1)
2010: Executive for Documentation || Website and Game Engine Developer
Myles
Captain

Full Name: Myles O'Neill
Membership Type: Full Member
Student Number: 4679193
Overall Kills: 0
Overall Survival Time: 114
Survival Time: 0
Kills: 0
Medals: 3
Executive Member (2) Moderator (1)

Re: Ask the Applicants

Postby Myles » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Well I'll start us off will I? :P

To Rachel:
  • As secretary how often do you think it would be appropriate to hold general meetings?
  • What work would you be willing to do to lessen the load on the president and treasurer?
  • What do you see as the future of the game, which direction should it be heading in?
  • How would you endeavour to get more club members active and involved in the club?

To Anthony:
  • As treasurer what areas of the budget do you think would demand the most attention? You said that you would like to build up capital for the club which I think is great, but how do you see money being allocated (roughly) this semester?

To Chris: (Sorry its so much, but president is an important role :lol: )
  • You have stated that one of the initiatives you are interested in running would be weekly/monthly nerf wars. I think this is a great idea - but probably a lot of work. Would you care to elaborate further on these ideas? How would you deal with the extra work load, or how would you delegate it? How would you deal with ANU security and the potential of annoying people? Would you require extra safety conditions such as wearing safety goggles (like ANU WGS do now)? Would the nerf wars be on campus?
  • You mentioned wanting to pull back spending from "hardcore player" items to items which would apply to more people. What sort of items do you think would fill this mold? Also as president you are not privy to the moderator's budget - how do you intend to advise the moderators about spending without in essence gaining information about how the game will be run?
  • You have listed information about moving the end of game "party" into more of a party setting. I think this idea certainly has merit, but what plans do you have about locations and if required how much of the clubs budget would you be willing to spend on them? How do you intend to gauge the club's general ideas about what they want to see in an end of game party? In terms of adding alcohol, how do you intend to deal with our under 18 members who will not be able to go into 18+ venues or drink. How will you deal with the extra liability the club will have from having an alcohol event and what safety measures would you include to ensure there are no issues?
  • We all know you are the current leader of PiP. This gives you some great leadership credentials, however what explicit bounds are you putting on yourself to separate yourself from the squad? It is of course completely inappropriate for the president to support one squad over others - so how will you deal with the bias you might have?
  • In the situation where you find you are unable to continue as president of the club due to moving away, how would you deal with the situation? What work would you put in before going and how much would whoever picks up the role have to take on? Would you know what the situation was well in advance, or would it be very last minute and thus more damaging to the club's organisation?
  • Finally, it has been a controversial issue of late as to which direction the club should go in with regards to large squads and organised human groups. This decision comes down to the moderators, but the executive as a whole can still vote to control it if they see fit. Where do you currently stand on this issue and what sort of situation do you want to see in the future of the game?
Myles
Captain

Postby Rachel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi! Thankyou for giving me a chance to talk about my ideas more. I hope that others will have questions too!

As secretary how often do you think it would be appropriate to hold general meetings?

I think that general meetings should be held twice a year, the AGM where new executive are elected and a general meeting after the winter game in which people can discuss the game and volunteer for helping positions or moderator positions at the next summer game. General meetings would also be held if any major issues within the club came up.

On the other hand, I believe open executive meetings should be held bi-monthly. This would give general members of the club an opportunity to see the direction the club is heading, and they would be welcome to contact the members of the executive with any questions or concerns afterwards although they would have no direct voice during the meeting.

I believe in an open club where the members know what is going on, however I also see the difficulties in holding general meetings too frequently as they can be time consuming and have a lower productivity level than a meeting with less voices however I would never want anyone to have no say in the running of the club, hence the open executive meetings where all could hear then address their concerns to the correct person or open a discussion on the forums.

What work would you be willing to do to lessen the load on the president and treasurer?

I see the position of secretary as that of a facilitator. While I believe that all important decisions must rest with the president, the implementation of those decisions, the writing out of minutes and schedules for meetings, general correspondence and summarizing forum discussions should be the domain of the secretary.

The secretary should keep reports from the other executive and should be the one to get budget requests from them and general reports to hand on to the president and treasurer when neatly arranged and comprehensive. The jobs of the treasurer and president should be to make decisions based on information, not to be a bureaucrat or paper-trawler. The job of the secretary should be to make sure they have all the information they need to make their decisions on request and to do the general paperwork.

What do you see as the future of the game, which direction should it be heading in?

I see the future of the game as one of expansion and inclusion. I hope our club will encourage other clubs throughout australia and take a leadership role in that, while always providing safe, quality games for the students at the Australian National University and our affiliate members. I see an expansion in our marketing campaigns and from that an expansion in our player base. I see a long-term, growing club which is always inclusive and never offends or antagonizes either its members or other clubs, societies or organisations within the university. I would hope to encourage younger members to step up to leadership roles and gain experience within the club to eventually take over so that it becomes long lasting, generational club. I hope to see our club continue to provide first years with new friends and to foster friendships between groups in the university that would not normal interact, such as first year and fourth year students.

How would you endeavour to get more club members active and involved in the club?

I would endeavor to get more club members active and involved in the club by providing opportunity, encouragement and support. I believe that it is important that older members in the club, especially the executive, play mentoring roles and encourage those new to the university to believe that they are important and that they can play a role within the club and within the greater university community. I particularly would like to encourage first years or those new to HvZ to step into general helper roles, and would like to see the talents of our general helpers made the fullest use of through encouragement, belief and a willingness to delegate and trust them with tasks so that they believe they can be useful in more important roles in the future and gain the confidence to step up in the club. Providing specific helper roles that people believe they can do and advertising them on the forum the way the general helper roles have been advertised may also help to increase participation. I believe the response to the advertisement for general helpers on the forum at the moment suggests that many are interested in participating in the club, however lack either the confidence or the time to commit to more demanding roles. Thus I firmly believe in encouraging these people to step up.
I would also advertise general meetings and open executive meetings a month to a fortnight in advance to make sure all club members have the time to set aside the date and can attend.
"It's kinda fun to do the impossible" --walt disney --

Zombie Style
Documentation Exec
Secretary
Goddess of Panjenkas
Rachel
Sergeant

Full Name: Rachel Yvonnne Keith
Student Number: 4315255
Overall Survival Time: 0
Game Status: Moderator
Medals: 5
Executive Member (2) Moderator (1) Zombie Style Award (1) Runner Up Squad (1)

Postby chrismelba » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:39 am

You have stated that one of the initiatives you are interested in running would be weekly/monthly nerf wars. I think this is a great idea - but probably a lot of work. Would you care to elaborate further on these ideas? How would you deal with the extra work load, or how would you delegate it? How would you deal with ANU security and the potential of annoying people? Would you require extra safety conditions such as wearing safety goggles (like ANU WGS do now)? Would the nerf wars be on campus?

My current plan will be to continue to use HvZ approved weaponry so as not to require safety goggles. I will be asking your and the other current executives advice on how security has been handled before, and endeavour to handle them in a similar way. I would hold it on campus, because it will likely be an easy location for most of our members. I will be attempting to enlist the help of the current game mods and other executives to run the game, though I anticipate that if I don't plan on playing myself, I should be able to run a 2 to 3 hour game with little to no assistance on the day, and that planning can be helped with by execs/mods.

You mentioned wanting to pull back spending from "hardcore player" items to items which would apply to more people. What sort of items do you think would fill this mold? Also as president you are not privy to the moderator's budget - how do you intend to advise the moderators about spending without in essence gaining information about how the game will be run?

This will be the hardest of my initiatives to enforce due to my status as a non-mod. However I believe that items such as the radios and black box (which I know the club does not own, but I believe was planning to) are fantastic for me and the hardcore players (seriously, black box is SO FREAKING COOL) but that the high expense and limited use does not justify them. All I can do about this is make my opinions known to the moderators and punch them in the throat if I don't like the bill when I see it after the game =D

You have listed information about moving the end of game "party" into more of a party setting. I think this idea certainly has merit, but what plans do you have about locations and if required how much of the clubs budget would you be willing to spend on them? How do you intend to gauge the club's general ideas about what they want to see in an end of game party? In terms of adding alcohol, how do you intend to deal with our under 18 members who will not be able to go into 18+ venues or drink. How will you deal with the extra liability the club will have from having an alcohol event and what safety measures would you include to ensure there are no issues?

This will be the most difficult of my initiatives I believe. Currently I have little thought on how to survey players apart from a direct email to all club members. However I do not want people to perceive us as "spammy" so this will be a last resort, or possibly bundled in with another email that would be sent anyway. I will endeavour to talk to players that I meet/hang out with at university, but am aware that this is not necessarily a representative sample and will be discussing with the executive as how best to proceed.

I am unaware of what the current budget for the end of game party is, however I hope that a comparable amount could be spent on the party I plan instead of the pizza usually purchased. This is I believe roughly enough for 2 to 3 drinks per person attending, which is enough for the club to provide in my opinion.

There are two main possibilities for the end of game party if alcohol is to be included. The simplest to run is to simply pay a bar tab at either the uni bar or another bar in civic. This minimizes our liability and makes it simple for us to provide alcohol (i.e. we don’t have to set up people to run our own “bar”) However this solution does exclude a minority of under 18s from the party.

Another solution is to purchase the use of ANUSAs liquor licence. This allows us to serve our own beers at a location on ANU grounds. I would have to research good indoor locations for such an event, but outdoor locations are relatively easy to find. To minimize liability and trouble in this case, I believe it would be wise to hold the event around lunch time to encourage a minimum of drinks. I would also charge a nominal amount per beer (say $1), so that people don’t feel they “need to get their fair share before they run out”. I believe between these two options, there will not be anyone who gets totally intoxicated at the event. People then have the option to move into civic later in the evening if they wish to continue drinking in a more dedicated fashion. If this is the option chosen then I will be consulting with the members of ESA as they run a similar event several times a year.
We all know you are the current leader of PiP. This gives you some great leadership credentials, however what explicit bounds are you putting on yourself to separate yourself from the squad? It is of course completely inappropriate for the president to support one squad over others - so how will you deal with the bias you might have?

Me wrote:If I were to become president then I would for starters not join the “hardcore” PiP squad (it’s still slightly unknown how PiP is going to form next game, but take the “hardcore” as whatever squad includes Anthony, Kevin, Burgo, Richard and Josh).

edit: I fear I have to renege on this previous statement. I will likely join my friends team regardless of whether I am president or not, however the rest of my statement (below) stands

As I do not plan on being a mod, my conflict of interest once the game has started should be minimal, as I have only very minor power over the game. If I am president of the club, I will not to take a leadership role for either humans or zombies and simply play as an enthusiastic member of the game.

In the situation where you find you are unable to continue as president of the club due to moving away, how would you deal with the situation? What work would you put in before going and how much would whoever picks up the role have to take on? Would you know what the situation was well in advance, or would it be very last minute and thus more damaging to the club's organisation?

If I were to move away I would have plenty of notice (min of 1 month). In this time, I would ensure that the bank accounts are up to date, and any paper work that needs to be filed with ANUSA is ready and waiting (for the next reconciliation for example). I believe (though am unsure) that ANUSA requires a reconciliation just once a year, but the club requires one every time a president changes. I would likely call a vote to change the constitution on this so as not to confuse ANUSA. I would make a list of current club issues and contacts for whoever would take over from me so that they understand what I was trying to do. I would also call a general meeting to elect a new president at least 2 weeks prior to me moving. This would allow whoever takes over from me to ease into the role and ask any questions they need of me. I would leave my contact details with the next president so that if an issue comes up down the line after I leave, I am able to be contacted and asked for help.

Finally, it has been a controversial issue of late as to which direction the club should go in with regards to large squads and organised human groups. This decision comes down to the moderators, but the executive as a whole can still vote to control it if they see fit. Where do you currently stand on this issue and what sort of situation do you want to see in the future of the game?

While I believe that PiP had a large effect on this game, I don’t personally believe it was damaging to the game as a whole. However, due to the large number of awards that we won, friends our members have made and our relative fame, I believe that PiP would continuously grow if left unchecked and that this would eventually be a large detriment to the club. By far the simplest and best solution I can think of is a cap on the number of members in a squad. I think that this should still be relatively high to allow for large squads, but not as high as PiP was this game. A number around 25 to 30 seems reasonable to me.

My hope is that there continues to be no disadvantage to taking on that extra member who wants to roll with you (none of this STFU n00b, you’ll lower our averages if you get in our squad) so as to facilitate hardcore players playing with and helping newer and more casual members. If the squad cap is put at 30 (or 25, or 35) and people see that having extra players is an advantage no matter their skill level, then I believe many squads will fill up to these larger numbers, giving no one squad such numerical superiority over others as PiP enjoyed this game. If the cap is set around this number, then hardcore groups of 5 to 10 should be able to enjoy similar levels of achievement to a more casual 25 to 30.

Something which could be done, though by mods, not executives, is to implement missions that can be performed exactly once by each squad. This would mean that no matter the size of a squad, the would only be able to have equal impact on that mission as any other squad. This would go some (smallish) way to reducing the dominance of day missions that large squads like PiP had due to their ability to have 2 or more different teams on the ground in separate locations at all times.

My thoughts on this matter are not completely settled though, and despite having read a 20+ page thread on the matter, I would still welcome any input that people have on what the best solution would be.
Last edited by chrismelba on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Burgess wrote:Chris is being weird and has a stranglehold on this game.

No One Dies
chrismelba
Major

Full Name: Chris Carter
Student Number: 4213284
Overall Kills: 4
Overall Survival Time: 134
Medals: 7
Executive Member (1) Best Human - Runner Up (1) Winning Squad (2) Runner Up Squad (1) Survivor (1)
Original Zombie (1)

Postby Myles » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:14 am

To answer your question about party budget, the two parties which were run cost:

Party 1 - $938.55
Party 2 - $955.55

In both cases we over budgeted for pizza (to deal with the potential of high turn outs), but it worked out given it was all eaten in the end :P

So yes, I think you are fine in saying that there would be enough money for alcohol.

However this solution does exclude a minority of under 18s from the party.

I am rather concerned with the issue of minors though. From our facebook page statistics 9% of our fans are under 18 - this is a significant amount. To completely exclude them from the final party (especially given that the final party is one of the main things we use their paid money for) seems to me to be a fairly bad thing to do.

Not to mention they could be receiving awards etc.

I think some middle ground needs to be found.
Myles
Captain

Postby Jeo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 am

Rachel and Anthony, I know that the moderators will deciding the squad size issue but as executives, you guys will almost undoubtedly still have some sway over the issue. Where do you both stand?

Rachel, Anthony and Chris, where do you stand on the 'stunned zombies must return darts' rule? This was something that was suggested by the previous moderator team and agreed on by the executives, however some members were quite vocal against it and stated that they may fight this at the next AGM.

Gone but not forgotten
Foam Dart Goodness

><
Jeo
Major

Full Name: Joe Craddy
Student Number: 4425486
Overall Kills: 2
Medals: 6
Executive Member (1) Moderator (1) Best Human - Winner (1) Winning Squad (1) Runner Up Squad (1)
Original Zombie (1)

Postby Rachel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:31 am

@ Chris, your best bet with the party is to hire the Carmel rooms or similar. The union will give you a decent discount as a society and they have a liquor license. You may have underage people there under some conditions. While normally it's best to have their parent/guardian with them you can probably get away with having the overage people all identified with an armband or similar and no alcohol to be served to any of those without an armband. As secretary i would be happy to talk to venues, get quotes and work out costs. However, the party might have to be held on the Saturday night as there is generally a surcharge for Sundays in most venues.

@Joe While I personally like the idea of open squads I believe that at least for the next game a squad cap should be implemented to stop PiP growing. I am less than sure that after being checked for one year and other squads opened to new players the squad cap should be continued, however I am with Chris on hoping that a squad cap of 30 will be implemented in the next game.

I believe to prevent lost property stunned darts should be returned to humans, however I believe that if a moderator is present then the zombies should be allowed to choose to return the darts to the moderator rather than risk a re-stun and the moderator should return the darts - at their discretion - to the humans.

Zombie Style
Documentation Exec
Secretary
Goddess of Panjenkas
Rachel
Sergeant

Postby chrismelba » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

@Myles. A possible compromise would be to hold the awards ceremony at University and then have an "after party" sponsored by the club at a bar, however you are right in that this does exclude a number of members and not give them fair value for their money. Rachels idea for the Carmel room would be great if it is cheap enough, otherwise an outdoor setting would be the cheapest, allowing us to give people the most value for their money. An outdoor setting also opens up the possibility of a BBQ so as to continue the tradition of feeding the players.

@Joe. I believe that not returning darts is almost exclusively a negative for the club.

It will result in many more darts being lost, as they are not being picked up immediately.
It will result in more casual players being upset because they are required to go to the ammo drop box as soon as they have expended their 6 darts.
It will mean that sieges last longer as once people are out of ammo, their tendency will be even more towards sitting tight and waiting.

The slight advantages that it will give to the game is to encourage less pot shots at far range zombies, as these shots almost always miss anyway I do not believe this will make much difference, and to potentially run humans out of ammo when they *need* to be somewhere, this is unlikely as the "siege rules" will simply mean they haven't spent all their ammo before leaving. This means the net effect is only the tiny effect of not having humans take pot shots. Compared to the cost of lost darts and other draw backs this seems so minor to me that the obvious choice is to have zombies return darts regardless of situation.
Andrew Burgess wrote:Chris is being weird and has a stranglehold on this game.

No One Dies
chrismelba
Major

Full Name: Chris Carter
Student Number: 4213284
Overall Kills: 4
Overall Survival Time: 134
Medals: 7
Executive Member (1) Best Human - Runner Up (1) Winning Squad (2) Runner Up Squad (1) Survivor (1)
Original Zombie (1)

Postby Rachel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 am

(revenge! Sweet sweet revenge! Just kidding - I'm actually really curious)

Myles:

As executive for documentation, do you see your primary role as providing a comprehensive daily report or maintaining game integrity and with-holding information specific to the zombies or humans or specific humans squads?

Are you willing to accept that you would probably not be able to play the game?

Do you feel that taking on this role will give you a responsibility to make yourself available during the uni day to film or photograph any missions or pivotal game points? Do you feel able to do this with your uni load?

How do you see the executive for documentation supporting the moderators during the game?

What do you feel is the role of the executive for documentation outside of the game?

What new ideas would you be thinking of implementing to facilitate the gathering of information?

edit: also, what ideas would you have to encourage new members to become involved in the club?

And all the other things asked of all applicants to exec - squad size, returning darts, etc.

Zombie Style
Documentation Exec
Secretary
Goddess of Panjenkas
Rachel
Sergeant

Postby voutasaurus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Myles wrote:To Anthony:
  • As treasurer what areas of the budget do you think would demand the most attention? You said that you would like to build up capital for the club which I think is great, but how do you see money being allocated (roughly) this semester?

I see a slightly smaller focus on advertising in second semester. I also feel that we need a greater ratio of cheese pizzas, and probably less pizza overall.

In terms of the game, I would like to put all the current game type assets in the possession of the moderators by default, so they have an opportunity to use them (because otherwise they would have to ask me - and I'm definitely playing next game - to use them, and then I would know, giving me undue advantage/spoiling the game for me).

Does that answer your question?
"My piiiiiiiie!" - Soarin'
voutasaurus
Sergeant

Full Name: Anthony Voutas
Student Number: 4519169
Overall Kills: 2
Overall Survival Time: 16
Executive Member (2) Moderator (2) Squad Style (1)

Next

Return to General Club Discussion