Alternatives to HvZ

This forum is for every rules question, suggestion or complaint you might have. All suggestions and complaints are taken seriously and while we can't promise we'll share your views on every issue, we encourage the community to look at all such issues and consider them thoroughly.

Alternatives to HvZ

Postby daevilone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I'd like to get a discussion going here on alternatives to the day part of an HvZ game.

Basically, what can we run during the day that can be played in the same style of HvZ (by that I mean that the killing mechanic of HvZ is retained)

Each night can still go ahead as per our previous games with all the Nerf we want.

Now, to have a chance of getting something through security it would need to meet the following criteria:

1) not portray a negative image for the university - No idea exactly what they are after here, but Nerf and the paramilitaryness of our past games they didnt like.

2) Must not endanger those who AREN'T playing. Security didn't like how we were running around buildings where we could have easily ran into people not playing. So whether this new game eliminates running or you can come up with where we can play where running will not be an issue...

Let the ideas fly.. ?
Best Zombie - Summer 2010
Best Squad - Summer 2010
Runner up Squad - Winter 2009
Photo gallery for the winter game 2010
daevilone
Club President

Full Name: Richard Pywell
Membership Type: Full Member
Student Number: 4305153
Overall Kills: 12
Overall Survival Time: 71
Game Status: Moderator
Survival Time: 0
Kills: 0
Medals: 5
Best Zombie - Winner (1) Winning Squad (2) Runner Up Squad (1) Hunter (1)

Re: Alternatives to HvZ

Postby kiet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:20 am

Holy shit, 12 hours and not a single post!!! well I'll get the ball rolling, but everything I am gonna say has already been said or suggested.

1) The socks only approach seems to be best, or atleast maybe, no painted guns whatsoever? It'll probably have to be a socks only thing if we don't wanna portray a negative image for the university. It'd also give off a better image for HvZ in general, as alot of the non players probably really didn't like the whole nerf gun thing in their faces or being shot with modified nerf guns in a cross fire.

2) You suggested this one Richard, and it's probably the best solution I've heard so far: Buildings are safe zones, but players must NOT be abusing them and when they reach a building, they must immediately make their way to a doorzone and enter. This would eliminate the whole running around a blind corner of a building and knocking over someone who ISN'T playing, not only that, but it would also free up the whole blocking a door zone rule. This still retains the feel of HvZ, in that the running and fear of getting tagged is still there, but it won't be as dangerous???? hopefully??? also, even though it's easier to survive with having buildings as safe zones, the fact that you're only allowed to use socks counters and balances it... hopefully. Also another idea, which may possibly kill the game or probably not, is to maybe have Union Court AND the area outside MCC as a full safe zone. Cause the bulk of the student population is around Union Court / MCC, so having the rough area as a safe zone will hopefully remove the whole endangering non players (it would also remove the whole bulk of HvZ players crowding inside pajenkas as the headquarters). If that's the case then, just have mission objectives which aren't anywhere near that area. Casuals will still feel the sting if they're going to a class which ISN'T near Union Court or MCC, and hardcores will still feel the sting when doing mission objectives.

Anyways, these are just my ideas (which aren't actually my ideas) and thoughts on what direction we could possibly go in, also I didn't really proof read much of what I posted, so if parts of it come out as gibberish then lol.
Rose
kiet
Sergeant

Full Name: Kiet Ky Ho
Student Number: 4684534
Overall Kills: 2
Overall Survival Time: 171
Medals: 3
Winning Squad (2) Survivor (1)

Postby verymildsuperpowers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:49 am

Box Wars.

Hvz/Nerf at night, one or two large box wars events over the week during the day. Check the thread below - everything is there.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10741
Cheers!

Neil

Canberra & Southern NSW Dart Tag - find us on FaceBook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canberra-Southern-NSW-Dart-Tag-Nerf-Wars-HvZ/144401038935716
verymildsuperpowers
Veteran

Full Name: Neil Stork-Brett
Membership Type: Associate Member
Student Number: 0
Overall Kills: 0
Overall Survival Time: 0

Postby BLACK_Commando » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 am

there are several large open areas or areas with a lot of bushes, right? students in the anu cant be everywhere, and i would assume there are areas that are not used much/so open it is unlikley to irritate anyone out of the game.

similar idea the the nerf wars we have been having, limit the playing area in such a way it does not hinder no players. it does sound like its an inhibition on us, but so is not playing at all.

i like kiets ideas.
HAZMAT.

BLACK_Commando
Lieutenant

Full Name: Kaleb Baldwin
Membership Type: Associate Member
Student Number: 0
Overall Survival Time: 133

Postby Jeo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 am

The biggest problem with running stand alone events is that the majority of the club's membership has already show us that they don't really care about said stand alone events. What they rated was the immersion factor of "I'm going about my normal daily life around uni but zombies are trying to eat me" and unfortunately it's that same immersion factor that causes people to become more likely to disregard the impact they're having on others.

As soon as you start saying these locations are in and these ones are out, it kinda kills that immersion thing.

Gone but not forgotten
Foam Dart Goodness

><
Jeo
Major

Full Name: Joe Craddy
Student Number: 4425486
Medals: 6
Executive Member (1) Moderator (1) Best Human - Winner (1) Winning Squad (1) Runner Up Squad (1)
Original Zombie (1)

Postby Myles » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Jeo wrote:The biggest problem with running stand alone events is that the majority of the club's membership has already show us that they don't really care about said stand alone events. What they rated was the immersion factor of "I'm going about my normal daily life around uni but zombies are trying to eat me" and unfortunately it's that same immersion factor that causes people to become more likely to disregard the impact they're having on others.

As soon as you start saying these locations are in and these ones are out, it kinda kills that immersion thing.

I disagree, we always had boundaries to the game. And even in game two we had whole areas which were out of bounds (chemistry). Having played in game 2 no one I knew found it less "immersive" to have those areas out of bounds. I think having constrained areas is well within the scope of what is possible. The key is though, as you said, to do something which is on "all the time" and long lasting - not stand alone events.
2009: Club Founder || Club President || Moderator Winter Game (Game 1)
2010: Executive for Documentation || Website and Game Engine Developer
Myles
Captain

Full Name: Myles O'Neill
Student Number: 4679193
Overall Survival Time: 114
Executive Member (2) Moderator (1)

Postby Faceman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 pm

I'll just put it out there:

1) Socks only

2)Honour system no camping in or around buildings (go where you need to, if your playing your outside in play areas).

3) Ether much limited areas OR honour system walking only. I know you guys love running but it would make it safer and a lot more casual for more people if players were just at low speed. Hard to enforce but this is an honour system game.

Probably all ready said but its the only way I can see to keep the core game but be safe.
Leader of the Cavalry, Squad Style award winter game 2010
"Ride 15 deep, straight through them all."
Faceman
Corporal

Full Name: Beau Olsen
Student Number: 4521163
Overall Survival Time: 267
Winning Squad (1) Squad Style (1) Survivor (1)

Postby Jeo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Happy to agree with you there Myles but you know as well as I do that they aren't talking about one building like Chem; they're talking about Union Court, Uni Ave, MCC, Copland, Chem, Engineering, etc.

Gone but not forgotten
Foam Dart Goodness

><
Jeo
Major

Full Name: Joe Craddy
Student Number: 4425486
Medals: 6
Executive Member (1) Moderator (1) Best Human - Winner (1) Winning Squad (1) Runner Up Squad (1)
Original Zombie (1)

Postby kiet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 pm

A compromise is better than not having the game at all IMO.
Rose
kiet
Sergeant

Full Name: Kiet Ky Ho
Student Number: 4684534
Overall Survival Time: 171
Winning Squad (2) Survivor (1)

Postby daevilone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Faceman wrote:I'll just put it out there:

1) Socks only

2)Honour system no camping in or around buildings (go where you need to, if your playing your outside in play areas).

3) Ether much limited areas OR honour system walking only. I know you guys love running but it would make it safer and a lot more casual for more people if players were just at low speed. Hard to enforce but this is an honour system game.

Probably all ready said but its the only way I can see to keep the core game but be safe.

The thing is we can't have a real HvZ game where it's an honour system for "low speed" only... define it? there is no way to define low speed. The best thing that MAY work is to say that you are not allowed to run without x meters of a building and that you are not allowed to use that area near the building for moving though - basically that the game can only be played a distance away from buildings. That gets really hard when buildings are close together. Once they are close enough where these "x" meter areas get close to eachother its really hard to have the game go through there... once you get rid of bits are that really close then there are massive chunks where the game can't be played, and then it's back to what we were offered for summer 2011..

What I'd really like this thread to come up with is something that ISN'T HvZ but can be used to simulate how a real game of HvZ happens during the day - ie people get killed, danger to and from class, etc. Obviously, a sock situation is better, but if we can't get that through I'd like to have a good back up plan already well in thoughts.
Best Zombie - Summer 2010
Best Squad - Summer 2010
Runner up Squad - Winter 2009
Photo gallery for the winter game 2010
daevilone
Club President

Full Name: Richard Pywell
Student Number: 4305153
Overall Kills: 12
Overall Survival Time: 71
Game Status: Moderator
Medals: 5
Best Zombie - Winner (1) Winning Squad (2) Runner Up Squad (1) Hunter (1)

Next

Return to Game Questions, Suggestions or Complaints